Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:15:58 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: PicoBSD 0.4 is out!

> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > * There is new type of floppy (router) which is able to provide routing
> > services with packet filtering on a 386SX equipped with only 4MB (!) of
> > RAM
> <SNIP>
> I would just like to know how efficient such system is and if a 386
> would do a good job has a router(and a firewall if I understand).
> I think to buy some ethernet card for my 386 and my P200 and to protect
> the p200 with my 386.

If you only have one machine, efficiency is hardly an issue.  PicoBSD
is certainly more than capable of handling such a scenario.

Throughput limitations depend on the level of complexity in your
firewall configuration.  A small 386 will handle your 'average'
firewall config and probably several hundred k/sec of traffic, as a
rough guesstimate.