Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:00:38 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Four problems that really bug me with CURRENT

>> >PCI bus probing seems not to be a general problem.
>> >Please send more details about your system (chip set,
>> >peripherals, ...). The most important information is
>> >the VERBOSE boot message log. (Boot with "-v" and send
>> >me the output of "dmesg", or cut the messages out of the
>> >"/var/log/messages" file ...)
>>
>> The recent XFree86 release uses PCI code that is very closely based on
>
>There is PCI code in XFree86 ???

Yes.  It was originally used for passive probing, but for some video
cards, we also need to write to the PCI config space.  It would be
better if most OSs provided an interface for doing this though.

>> that in 2.2-current from about two months ago, and I know of some
>> cases where the PCI bus probe seems to fail.  The common factor is
>> that they are PCs made by HP, and at least some are PPro machines.
>
>Well, but how do you think I'm going to fix this,
>if I have no idea what actually fails. Send me the
>information I asked for (verbose boot messages and
>the information about the chip set, CPU and BIOS
>you can easily get at), and I'll make it work.

The machines I'm referring to are not running FreeBSD (usually they
are running Linux).  At least one of the PPro machines is using a
fairly old revision of the Orion chipset.  I'll see if I can get
some more information about this.

As another data point, the scanpci program distributed with XFree86
(which uses differnet PCI code) does detect the PCI bus on these machines,
and after that has been run, the PCI code in the XFree86 servers works
again.

David