Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:58:00 GMT
From:      Fabian Wenk <wenk@phys.ethz.ch>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/72305: boot hangs after discovering disks when acpi is enabled (no GEOM)

>Number:         72305
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       boot hangs after discovering disks when acpi is enabled (no GEOM)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
System is running on an Intel server systemboard (Intel(R) E7501 Chipset based server) with one Intel(R) Xeon(TM) Processor 2.40GHz, one 3ware Escalade 8006-2LP (twe, 2x 80GB S-ATA disks as Mirror -> system partition) and two 3ware Escalade 9500S-12 (twa, each with 12x 240GB S-ATA disks as a RAID5 with 2.5TB and concatenated with ccd to one 5TB data partition).

With FreeBSD 5.3-BETA4 and ACPI enabled it is working just fine, with FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 ACPI needs to be disabled, or else the systems hangs after dedecting the two SCSI disks (da0 and da1 from the twa controllers) and needs a reset.

As far as I can see, GEOM can not be read from the disks.

Verbose boot output can be found here:
5.3-BETA4 BAECHISTOCK with ACPI enabled [1]
5.3-BETA6 GENERIC with ACPI enabled [2]
5.3-BETA6 GENERIC with ACPI disabled [3]

[1] http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~wenk/5.3/beta4-acpi.txt
[2] http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~wenk/5.3/beta6-acpi.txt
[3] http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~wenk/5.3/beta6-noacpi.txt

Kernel configuration for BAECHISTOCK [4]
[4] http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~wenk/5.3/BAECHISTOCK-BETA4

I have now ACPI disabled with hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf

PS: Want to see how this server looks like?
Here [5] are some pics of glaernisch.ethz.ch which is a similar server, just some months older (running still 5.2.1), but with the same duty.

[5] http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/hosts/glaernisch/

bye
Fabian
>How-To-Repeat: