Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2014 23:28:41 +0200
From:      Anders Bolt-Evensen <andersbo87@me.com>
To:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UEFI display frozen on Retina MacBook Pro

If you have an internal or external DVD burner, have you tried to download t=
he ISO file and buen that to a DVD and boot from that DVD? That method works=
 on my MacBook Pro from 2011.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 09 Sep 2014, at 18:56, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sep 8, 2014, at 7:21 AM, Anders Bolt Evensen <andersbo87@icloud.com> w=
rote:
>>=20
ike to be able to boot FreeBSD from an external USB drive. For testing I've b=
een using the mini-memstick images from the -CURRENT snapshots, most recentl=
y the one from 20140903.
enu, and it does _something_, but the screen never changes--the image of the=
 boot menu is displayed indefinitely. I think it is actually booting since t=
here is drive activity and the caps lock key indicator starts working a few s=
econds in, but the screen just stays the same. Thinking the resolution of th=
e Retina display may have been an issue, I tried booting with it disabled (l=
id closed) and an external monitor and keyboard. The result was the same--Ma=
c boot menu frozen on the external display.
ything else I should include in a PR? I can test patches if needed (probably=
 after building an image including the patch from a VM).

>>> No, I don't ever see the FreeBSD loader. I see the menu you get on a Mac=
 when you hold down the option (alt) key while booting--big disk icons repre=
senting the bootable disks/partitions in the system. In my case it was the "=
Macintosh HD" volume (Mac OS Mavericks), my Windows partition, and the USB s=
tick with the FreeBSD memstick image on it, which the Mac just called "EFI B=
oot" (and the icon was that of a USB disk). There is also a little section a=
t the bottom that allows wifi network booting (if you've done all the black m=
agic (not PXE) to get that to happen). It shows a circular activity animatio=
n while it scans for wireless networks. That animation stops when I select t=
he USB EFI icon and press enter (and that is the only visual indication I ge=
t that I made a selection).
>>=20
>> To see the FreeBSD (U)EFI boot loader on the Mac, you need to install an E=
FI shell like rEFIt on either your hard drive or a HFS formatted memory stic=
k:
>> 1) Download the rEFIt installer from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.n=
et/project/refit/rEFIt/0.14/rEFIt-0.14.dmg?r=3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Frefit.sourceforg=
e.net%2F&ts=3D1410181876&use_mirror=3Doptimate
>> 2) Open the downloaded file
>> 3) Run the following command from the terminal: sudo installer -pkg /Volu=
mes/rEFIt/rEFIt.mpkg -tgt /Volumes/memstick (in this example, I'm using an H=
FS formatted memory stick).
>> 4) Run the command "sudo /Volumes/memstick/efi/enable.sh"
>> 5) When you reboot your Mac, when you hold down the alt key, choose rEFIt=
 on the startup menu. Then, choose the "BOOTx64.efi from =E2=80=A6" option
>> If everything now goes as it should, you should see the FreeBSD loader. W=
hen the "Press enter to boot or any other key to go to loader in X seconds" (=
or whatever it says), press a random key. Then try to type the commands sugg=
ested by [Glen Barber].
>=20
> Thanks all, made _some_ progress.
>=20
> I installed rEFInd on my internal hard drive and now I can get to (and see=
!) the FreeBSD EFI loader. Unfortunately that's about as far as it gets. Onc=
e I tell the loader to boot it displays the EFI framebuffer information and t=
hen nothing else. This happens with 'kern.vty=3Dvt' set and with or without '=
hw.vga.textmode=3D1'.