Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        gnats-admin@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386/26261: silo overflow problem in sio driver

I think my "silo overflow" problem is being caused (or, at least,
provoked) by XFree86-4.x.

I'm using XFree86 version 4.0.1 on the machine that exhibited the
problem.  When I tried going back to version 3.3.6, the silo over-
flows went away.  (Unfortunately, I had to go back to 4.0.1, as
the XF86_SVGA server I need to use in 3.3.6 to run my ATI Xpert
128 video card has several nasty bugs, but that's another story.)

I also get solid, error-free serial I/O if I escape out of X and
display high-speed serial output directly to the monitor.

Let me also mention, for the record, that I checked my null modem
serial cable very carefully with a continuity tester, and the cable
is definitely wired OK (it swaps RTS and CTS, for example).

This presumably leaves open the question of whether the problem is
due to a bug in XFree86-4.x itself, or if XFree86-4.x is innocently
tickling some FreeBSD kernel bug.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/