Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:21:42 -0500
From:      Gary Corcoran <garycor@comcast.net>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware and turbotax

Andy Sparrow wrote:

> > I have vmware working on my current box and windows 98 (that I got with
> > this laptop) runs fine, but turbotax doesn't run.
>
> Hmmm, it's worked for me on -STABLE for the last 3 years, if that's any
> help...
>
> Haven't tried this year's software yet.
>
> >  It seems to work
> > onthe native hardware. (dammit I have to boot windows). Does anyone have
> > any ideas about what they might be trying to do that can tell the
> > difference?

I read a news article about this year's TurboTax.  Seems they've
incorporated "product activation", like Microsoft, which not
only wants to low-level probe your hardware, but which will also
keep you from moving your tax records to another machine down the
road (since you won't have an activation code for the new machine).

Not only that, I read today that the bastards also go and install
some viral-ware called C-Dilla that constantly runs to monitor your
CD-RW actitivities, to disallow the copying of the installation CD.
Seems that it not only sucks up some CPU, but can interfere with
other CD-RW activities as well.

Unless you like this kind of crap, I'd suggest boycotting TurboTax
(or returning it if you already bought it - if you can).

Full story here:

Gary