Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 22:58:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        ccappuc@satelnet.org (Chris Cappuccio)
Subject:   Re: HP printers

As Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> I need a little help getting a hewlett packard deskjet 500
> printer working under -current (nothing to do with the fact
> that it's current or 2.1 or whatever, just that its kind of
> strange..) I can't get he baud rate adn such set correctly

Baud rate???  Is the printer connected via a serial port?

If it's parallel, and all your problem is that it's terribly slow, try
setting your printer port into ``polled'' mode:

	lptcontrol -p

Some newer HP printers are told to not work correctly in interrupt
mode, apparently due to some (not yet exactly understood) timing
problem.  Slowaris is also affected by this (and that's probably the
reason why the HP support does rather act like an ``unsupport'' here).

--
cheers, J"org