Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:21:45 +0000
From:      John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Mailing List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=E9?= <royger@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade an EOL FreeBSD release or how to make it working again

Judging by a commit message BSD on the ARM Chromebook didn't work
when support was removed in 2019.

>RK* Exynos* and Meson*/Odroid* don't even work with current
>source code, if someone wants to make them work again they
>better use the Linux DTS.
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit?id=3D9dfa2a54684978d1d6cef67bbf6242e825=
801f18

I have one of the "snow" Chromebooks.  The warnings in the web page
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook led me not to try FreeBSD.
None of the many bugs seemed likely to ever be fixed.  I'm not using it
so I could try an experiment, but fighting with u-boot is not how I want
to spend my days.  Even the popular Raspberry Pi takes skill or luck.

(So "build an arm6 world and copy X, Y, and Z to the DOS partition
on your USB drive" is the kind of advice I need to supplement the old
Chromebook wiki page.)

There is at least a little value in getting it to work because the armv6
code is bit rotting and will go away entirely unless people use it.

John Carr

> On Jan 15, 2024, at 10:59, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hello to everyone.
>=20
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 14 natively on my ARM Chromebook model xe30=
3c12 ; I've found only one tutorial that teaches how to do that,that's it :
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Chromebook
>=20
> The problem is that it ends with the installation of FreeBSD 11,that's ve=
ry EOL.
> I can't use it as is. I need to upgrade it to 14 (but I'm on arm 32 bit,t=
hat's TIER-2,so I can't upgrade it automatically using the freebsd-update s=
cript. It is also true that I can't install 14 directly on that machine,as =
you can read below :
>=20
>=20
> <unnamed.png>
>=20
> I've looked all around and I found the tool pkgbase,that I'm talking abou=
t on the FreeBSD forum,to understand if it allows the 11 to be usable or up=
gradable. It does not seem to be the proper tool to achieve my goal. Do you=
 have any suggestions that can help me ? Thanks.