Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:52:22 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:10:25AM +0000, Steve Roome wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:20:52AM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
> > I've always wondered what happened to the old BSD compiler. From what I
> > understand, it falls under AT&T licensing.

It also only generated code for VAX and Interdata.  When BSD was ported
to the hp300's GCC became the CSRG's base compiler.

> > I believe a lot of universities (at least Penn State does) offer
> > courses in "compiler design and implentation".  There ya go.  It's a
> > good topic for a master's or PhD thesis, plus you could implement a
> > new compiler to boot.

Get real!!  For one thing, a new compiler isn't Ph.D. thesis material.
One aspect of a compiler would be -- say a new optimizer, or really
revolutionary parser, etc..

Also, now that we have an ISO standard, creating a good quality C
compiler (I won't even go into C++) is no longer a one person task --
much less one to be done in 1-2 years (about the max amount of actual
creative coding a Ph.D. puts into his thesis).  This is way out of the
reach of a Masters project.

> I assume most university compiler design courses are about the same:

Very bad assumption.  I've taken three and all where very different.

> We did a compiler course in our final year at Uni. It was supposed to
> In comparison to a real-world compiler, It was a complete load of junk.

Exactly.

> A bit like some folks who have been writing something called gcc for a
> while now.

Yep.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)