Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 11:34:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Laptop 4MB RAM 486 CPU

In message <200105031731.NAA00388@scarlet.my.domain> User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas writes:
: 	This is a Laptop that does not have a hot swappable HD.  I could take it
: apart and see if it has an IDE drive in it or maybe get the info off of
: dmesg's output as it scrolls by.  I know I can get to a shell with the
: NetBSD version 1.4 install floppy.  I suppose I can run dmesg from there and
: get the info about drive type.  Thanks to Bruce, Greg, Bob, Warner, and
: anybody else who responds.  I think I'll hack around with the previously
: mentioned Pico scripts and see if I can't get some results.  I'll post the
: success story(hopefully) when I'm through.  Thanks for clearing up the
: confusion about sysinstall.  I thought the Pico script ran it after it
: booted up the system.

If it has a floppy, you'd likely be able to netboot the machine to
partition your hard disk.  I think that booting the fixit disks might
also get you this, but you'd likely have to go back to the 2.2 series
of releases where things still fit on one floppy.

Warner