Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:32:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walker" <bmw@borderware.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   One solution (Re: Mail list is posting gone virus!!!!)

Quoting Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>:

> * Arjen De Landgraaf <arjen.de.landgraaf@cologic.co.nz> [011204 16:08]
> wrote:
> >
> > Not a good advertisement for freebsd security.
>
> It's a microsoft virus, every list has it's bunch of Lusers
> subscribed. :)

While this isn't a "freebsd security" issue *specifically*, nowadays it's
every admin's job to deal with bogus incoming mail, just like bogus incoming
packets.

> > We have already received 3 copies of the gone virus through your
> list.
>
> The list is not moderated.

It doesn't need to be to solve this problem.

May I refer you to: DEMIME  http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html
which can easily be added to majordomo thus eliminating several problems at
once: useless attachments stripped (including viruses, v-cards and Microsoft
formatting crud), HTML mail turned into plain text, much bandwidth wastage
eliminated.

Other lists use this or a similar tool; eg: one or two of the openbsd lists.
Very effective!

-bmw