Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      nvp@ora.com
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html

To add some hardware I like and recommend (some of this might already be
on a list somewhere -- sorry):

Princeton Graphics - 19" to 1600x1200 with a
Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 at 16bpp (at least I think it's so)

I'm using a Toshiba 12X CDROM per Jordan's mention (thanks
Jordan, it's great!)

IBM 4.3G wide SCSI HD - fast and extremely reliable

Adaptec SCSI controller -- I haven't found anything better or supported by
more OSs/vendors

Iomega Jaz (SCSI Internal) -- seems to work well with the Adaptec and is
pretty fast, although it's noticeably slower than my IBM HD

To add some software:

Xi Graphics CDE package - sure, it's not cheap, but the $300+ gets you
CDE, Motif 1.x libraries and header files, *and* the accelerated X server
(4.1).  The configuration programs/interfaces are excellent.  I had been
very fond of the Infomagic Moo-Tiff package (Motif 2.0) until I used the
Xi product -- it blew Moo-Tiff out of the water.

On another front, I've had bad experiences with the following hardware:

Diamond Supra "pNp" 56K modem (internal) -- tried two different units
under 2.2.1-RELEASE and neither worked.  Support was lacking.

Zoom 33.6K modem (internal) -- very disappointed.  Seems like this unit
suffers from bugs similar to early USR externals (dropped carrier,
freezing up the connection, unable to dial, unable to negotiate a
connection).  Support was irritating.

What would you folks recommend for a good internal or external 33.6 or 56
K modem?

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan, System Administrator
O'Reilly and Associates