Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:45:07 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

At 9:05 AM +0000 2/15/03, Wes Peters wrote:
>On Saturday 15 February 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Based on a few minutes of testing, I think newsyslog will
>  > pretty much do the right thing if you call it as:
>  >
>>        newsyslog -Fr /var/log/somefilename
>>
>  > The '-r' is just so newsyslog doesn't turn around and send
>  > a signal back to syslogd.  I'm still tempted to add a '-R'.
>
>I'll give that a try Tuesday, or maybe Monday if I get my
>current box running this weekend.

Okay.

>  > I would add some default rotate-action to newsyslog, which
>>  would be used if -R is specified and the file is not listed
>>  in the newsyslog.conf file.
>
>Sounds good to me.  Are you going to look into that?  I'll
>definitely want  your changes to newsyslog to go along with
>my changes to syslog.conf. ;^)

Assuming we do not get too much snow tomorrow (Monday), I'll try
to write up something then.

In a separate message on 2/15/03, Wes Peters wrote:
>On Saturday 15 February 2003, Thomas Quinot wrote:
>  > Le 2003-02-14, Wes Peters =E9crivait :
>  > > To this end I've implemented another feature, 'N' for
>  > > newsyslog.  When the file size limit is reached, newsyslog
>  > > is run with the log filename as the only argument.  The
>  > > size limitation in syslog.conf and newsyslog.conf should
>  > > agree or you won't get what you expect.
>  >
>  > Well, precisely for this reason it would seem even nicer to
>  > me to delegate the size limitation to newsyslog as well
>  > perhaps rebuilding a tool similar to daemontool's multilog
>  > based on code shared with newsyslog).
>
>That's a better answer than incorporating multilog with all it's
>djb licensing warts, but still costs another process for every
>log file you want to size-limit.
>
>Garance, did you get this one?  Do you want to look at this?

I believe this issue would be handled by the "force" option
(either '-Fr' for now, or '-R' & <default> handling once I do
that).  So, my assumption is that there is nothing additional
I need to do here.  Let me know if I'm missing something.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =3D   gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu