Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:34:59 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

Mike Tancsa stands accused of saying:

> >There's no "all of a sudden" about it.  These sort of complaints are a
> >continual feature of the landscape.  I'm just at that point in the
> >month wher they set my teeth on edge.
>
> Ahhh... so, what is the point of the mailling list then ?  Are people only
> supposed to post success stories?

Nooo, but posting "I have a problem" straight up, and expecting
someone else to do your detective work with no supporting information
is a bit much, you have to admit.

> I guess the end of May wasnt that time of month for you... There were
> several posts about it in questions.  I dont think people are trying to lay
> blame, or even criticize the efforts of the FreeBSD developers... But you
> would call it incompetence, if someone with who started with 2.2.1,
> tracking 2.2-RELENG, who happily does a dozen or so make worlds, then all
> of a sudden gets a build failure is automatically user error ?

I'll say it again; there are a lot of competent people building the
-stable releases on a daily basis.  If something is _really_ busted in
-stable, there will be loud complaints from lots of people about it.
As a less-experienced worlder, best practice is to lurk watching for
these outbursts.  When you haven't bheard one for a few days, you can
be sure the tree is stable and buildable.

>  If its not
> documented anywhere that you have to blow away /usr/include, how are you
> supposed to automatically know that?

You don't have to blow away /usr/include.  I've _never_ had to do
this.  Blowing away /usr/include is a drastic solution for someone
that's managed somehow to toast their include tree and isn't capable
of rebuilding it by hand.

> And, if these lazy ass people who
> have these problems should not post to the mailling list, because it pisses
> people off, what are they to do ?  You are only discouraging people from
> using FreeBSD by this elitist attitude.

*sigh*  Look; my point is that as a newcomer to any forum or field, it is
wise to remain quiet and observe the customs and forms of the environment
before leaping in with all feet blazing.

Popping up and saying "I am having a problem..." is fine.  _Ignoring_
the feedback from experienced users that tells you that the problem is
of your own making, and impossible to guess from the information
provided, and merely insisting that you have a problem is going to get
you ignored - there is nothing that can be done to help you, you
refuse to help yourself, so what boots it to try?

> Ahhh no... More like "The government should post a sign saying 'Danger,
> bridge out on Route B'"... But I guess if you are driving at night and you
> dont see that the bridge is out and there is no sign to warn you, its your
> own damn fault.

Ah, but there _are_ warning signs like that posted.  They go to the
commit mailing lists, which is what you shoiuld be watching to see if
rebuilding the world is even worth the effort.  You can summarise
these by looking at the additions to the commitlogs if you are
cvsupping the entire repository too.

Oh, and to answer your question; as someone who covers a lot of ground
fast at night, yes, missing a roud outage _is_ your own stupid fault.

> >I particularly resent changes and impositions (such as attempting to
> >maintain an impossible README) that are meant to make things OK for
> >people that are too lazy or careless to learn for themselves.
>
> So why have any documentation at all ?

Documentation is designed to take someone from a fairly well defined
initial state to some equally well-defined final state.  The
documentation you are proposing would have to deal with the almost
infinite number of possibly confused initial states, and ultimately
there would still be people out of its scope.  As I also pointed out,
it would never be maintained (experience speaking), so not only would
it be incomplete, it'd be wrong too.

> >Firstly, they don't work.  Secondly, they make life less enjoyable for
> >the rest of us.
>
> So dont read the README?!?! Let us who are in the darkness of mediocraty
> and incompetence waste our time as we are spoon fed by documentation....
> Sheesh!

You don't understand.  You see, someone has to create and maintain
this documentation; _that_ is the "less enjoyable" part.

> 	---Mike (who perhaps had too much coffee)

*chuckle*