Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 20:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Viability of -current for Usenet News

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:

> > > Not really anymore, apparently the 2.2.7 boot floppy now has the driver
> > > built on it (yay!).
> >
> >   Yes, but sysinstall bugs will probably force you to do most of the
> > filesystem setup manually.  See archives.
>
> &#@^! ... In what list?  It hasn't hit the archives and I haven't seen
> anything yet.

  This has gone for almost a year.  Talked about in frebsd-scsi for
sure, and probably freebsd-stable.  Basically what happens, is that
sysinstall hangs just after newfs'ing the filesystems.  The work around is
to leave most of the space unallocated, and label it and newfs after
booting.  Again a very old problem going back to Novemeber or so last
year.  There has been speculation that since sysinstall uses libdisk, not
disklabel to write labels, that the problem might be in the disklabels
created by sysinstall on a DPT array, caused by the size and/or geomentry
of the DPT array (all the DPT arrays I've under FreeBSD tickled this bug,
and all very 16GB or bigger).

Tom