Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 1996 09:19:44 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Will Brown <ewb@zns.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 Crack code

> Dave Andersen said:
> >    SecurID is a challenge/response one-time authentication system.  You
> > log on, the system tells you the challenge, you enter the challenge in to
> > your SecurID calculator along with your calculator password, the calc.
> > hands you back a response, you type the response in, you're authenticated.
> > Good stuff for high-security applications.
>
> I thought the Security Dynamics card had only an LCD display and no
> keyboard. It generates a new password every minute. That plus a PIN
> are used to gain access. So you have to HAVE the card and KNOW the PIN
> - two factors. Exactly how it stays in time-sync with servers I don't
> know. Maybe there is more to it... (speak up folks).  Yes
> unfortunately the target customer seems to be high-end security
> freaks (with $$), not ISPs and the ilk (sigh).

Yes, we must be one of those - my card is turning up in 3 weeks. It was
prompted by me announcing to out network guys that I wanted to set up my
FreeBSD machine as a PPP server - they freaked.

	Stephen
--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.