Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:29:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, terry@lambert.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.org, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

> > Some people who have
> > a mad love for /usr/bin/mail want /var/mail NFS mounted from the mail
> > box to the shell box. I tell them to use fetchmail. Problem solved.
>
> I do not have the option of doing this.
>
> Suppose The Very Big Corporation of America offered you a megabuck or two for
> FreeBSD development -- but only if you made NFS-mounted mail worked, because
> TVBCA insists upon it.  How hard will you stick to your principles?

Very hard.  But then I understand NFS locking well enough to implement
it (I implemented the fcntl() interfaces for server locking on FreeBSD).
I suspect Andrew (the guy who wrote the first publically available
rpc.statd and rpc.lockd) does too.  I suspect Jordan might as well, even
though he didn't complete the integration job to bring my changes into
the tree and todo list management in rpc.lockd for descriptor coelescing.

It's easy to stick to your principles when you can make them work.

> > To be perfectly honest, I don't see the problem here ... make the
> > locking method an option, just like elm does. No more problem.
>
> What about my users who thank me for *NOT* doing this, because they find Elm's
> options too confusing?

I can't believe elm is still that popular (even though it's *my* personal
favorite).  I have to say this has got to be a reductio ad absurdum
argument -- a straw man.  It's possible to test the failure case during
config by compiling up a small test program.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.