Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:45:16 +0100
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

Someone recently submitted a PR about TCP based NFS being significantly
slower under 4.X. I wonder if it could be related?
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/32141 There is quite a lot of
detail in the PR and the submitter has no
trouble reproducing the problem.

For what it is worth i have exchanged mail with
Alexander Haderer
the author of the PR, and no, i have not seen nor reproduced his
problem. I have done NFS exchanges between FreeBSD machines, and
with Linux machines with NFS V3/TCP started by amd, since it was his
problem, and all my speeds have been of the order of nominal speed
(10 Mb/s and 100 Mb/s). On FreeBSD i am using
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Wed Oct  3
the NIC's are Intel 100 Mb/s 3Com 100 Mb/s and a D-Link 10 Mb/s on a laptop
connected to a 3Com switch. No special tuning related to newreno.
I have also downloaded a lot of things via ftp, locally and non locally
and have observed no special slowing down. In particular i downloaded via
ftp to a Linux box with a 100Mb/s 3Com card a whole 600Mb
iso image at nominal wire speed.
The Linux boxes run the latest RedHat.
Here is also a ftp test to a Solaris box:
8727260 bytes received in 0.92 seconds (9275.56 Kbytes/s)
As far as i can see always very correct speeds.

This is extremely strange since Alexander Haderer was very aware of
the half-duplex vs full-duplex issues and triple checked his installation.
The only thing i have not checked is connection to a box running
old version of FreeBSD, since i don't have one.

--

Michel TALON