Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> And the gun is at the ISP's head:  Subscribe (or provide)
> these groups, or become liable for content

I don't believe this is true. ISP's can drop any newsgroups they want or
drop messages due to non-content related criteria, such as encoded files
or large messages, and still not be liable for content. You become liable
for content when you examine the content and drop messages based on that
or when you edit the content. But encoded files are not truly messages and
could be dropped safely, IMHO.

Of course I am not a lawyer and I have not yet asked any telecom lawyers
to consider this idea of eliminating files from USENET.

> So, change how large binaries are distributed.  Use web push
> tecnology.  Use ftp.   Use news for what it was intended:  text
> messages and discussion.  And incidently put the onus of content
> responsibility at the source.

Exactly!

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com