Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 20:58:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A MMAP observation

> > Of course, if somebody would make ODBC clients for FreeBSD so I could let
> > it talk to my NT SQL server, then I wouldn't have to mess with this at
> > all. :)
>
> I think ``ODBC'' is another mis-nomer from the halls of Microsoft. I
> don't know anything ``open'' about it. I've certainly never seen any
> published (and freely available) specs for it (Of course, I will no
> doubt be corrected by Terry if I'm wrong :-) ). I'm willing to bet
> that you have to pay Microsoft to get the interface specs.

I saw a posting of a UNIX ODBC on comp.sources.unix about 8 months
ago (+/- 2 months).

I didn't grab it because I found the idea singularly uninteresting
compared to SQL.

I thought it was server-only code.  It might have been client-only
code.  Like I said -- uninteresting.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---