Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:00:29 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   src.conf: CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS inconsistency

--Sig_/qF4B2v02Njo+bW=Fa1fxJwS

man make.conf states, that COPTFLAGS is used for building/compiling the ker=
nel
(exclusively). The question arises: are kernel modules NOT kernel or are th=
ey kernel?

The problem I face is that with optimization level -O3 loader.efi gets misc=
ompiled and a
UEFI laptop stops/reject booting. To avoid other interference, I defined CO=
PTFLAGS
in /etc/src.conf accordingly, but leave CFLAGS?=3D-O3 in /etc/make.conf for=
 compilation of
regular ports and the rest of the OS.

I can observe that with CFLAGS set, either in make.conf, or src.conf or mut=
ual exclusive,
the CFLAGS is ALWAYS incorporated when kernel stuff like modules and even t=
he loader.efi
is built! I consider this inconsitent, since loader.efi is definitely kerne=
l related
stuff as well as modules.

It seems to me that it s not possible to separate cleanly CFLAGS and COPTFL=
AGS for
userland/ports and kernel-only related compilations as described in the man=
 page.=20