Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:23:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de (Bernd Walter)
Cc:        walton@nordicrecords.com (Dave Walton), freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AEC-4412 SCSI-SCSI RAID

Bernd Walter wrote...
> On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 01:40:45PM -0700, Dave Walton wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that's it.  I notice that every time I try to access sd0
> > with fdisk or whatever else, /var/log/messages gets an entry saying:
> >   /kernel: sd0: Can't deal with 134 bytes logical blocks
> It says logical not physical.
> I have had the same problems with some IBM drives which claimed to have 520
> Bytes/Sector.
> I finally used a Tool from Dan Stricks - you may find the discussion on
> freebsd-scsi archive.
> Another way might be low-level formating using the Adaptec BIOS - at least
> on a 1542 it sets the sector size properly to 512 Bytes.

I think he really needs to look in the documentation for this device or
talk to Adaptec tech support.

This is a RAID array, not a hard disk and I find it a little hard to
believe that an array would require low-level formatting to work.  It's
possible, but it seems a bit odd.  You'd think that the array controller or
setup software would do whatever is necessary to make things work when
you configure the disks into an array.

Another odd thing is that I can't find any documentation or information
about this controller on Adaptec's web site.  It looks like all the stuff
on their web site is PCI-based, not SCSI-SCSI controllers.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org