Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:12:43 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IBM's radar screen?

At 6:57 PM +0100 3/1/01, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>Anyway, I just wanted to mention on -hackers that it's
>possible FreeBSD is starting to show up on IBM's radar
>screen. I think it's way too early to conclude anything
>yet, but it's interesting nevertheless.

I think the recent debacle with the T20 and A20 laptops
actually helped to get us noticed.  Here someone in IBM
probably made a dumb programming mistake which happened
to make freebsd unusable on their hardware, and they got
a whole bunch of their *customers* (owners of one of
these laptops) beating them up for the problem.  Not
freebsd.org making vague promises of sales based on
freebsd, but actual customers using freebsd on IBM
hardware.  IBM wants to sell as much hardware as they
can, and so they are bound to be interested when they
notice that some of their customers are using freebsd.