Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 22:17:19 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        roell@blah.a.isar.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > Ok, then I had 2 or 3 maybe very stupid sounding questions (and believe me,
> > I tried to work around them for quite a while now):
> >
> > 1) How do I get my process to be the controlling pgrp of this tty ? I
> >    tried all things that worked under SVR4, but I'm lost on this one.
> >    Just a couple of sample code lines would help me here incredible.
>
> The question is wrong.
>
> The correct question is "how do I make this tty the controlling
> tty for my process?".

No, this is _not_ the correct question.  The question is "how can I arrange
to receive a signal (eg. SIGIO) when there is data to be read on a
descriptor, without making it the controlling TTY."

The answer is "you can't, without using a coprocess."  This is a shame,
however bde has provided some reasons as to why this currently isn't
possible.

Think about the problem at hand.

> I assume you want this for SIGHUP processing?  I used to work (for
> more than 5 years) as THE software engineer (not including the
> company president) for the #1 UNIX communications software (TERM).

Er, almost certainly not.  Try "low-cost asynchronous input".  Remember
what TR does?  Think about how handy it would be to do your mouse data
handling inside a signal handler; your main loop would be presented
with events out of a FIFO as faits accompli, you could probably even
stuff the location registers in the signal handler.

>From my (naive) viewpoint, it would sure beat the hell out of using select(),
which has alreaby been stated is the _current_ way of doing it.

> Really, the entire idea of controlling ttys and signal delivery and
> session and process and credential association is rather broken.

Rant... 8)