Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 1995 17:40:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: More serial console stuff...

As Wankle Rotary Engine wrote:

| Second, there are incidental problems involved with booting with a serial
| port as a console. For one thing, you have to remember to edit /etc/ttys
| properly before you bring the system up multi-user for the first time, or
| you won't get a login prompt. ...

| Putting a getty on 'console' is really the nice way to do it, but
| there are a few small complications:

It is said that it's not a good idea to enable a getty on /dev/console.

We would need some install-time or /etc/rc-time automagic that
auto-enables the getty on tty00 in /etc/ttys if the systems happens to
run a serial console.  Perhaps cons.c should emit some string that
identifies on which console the system is running; this could be later
looked up with dmesg and a bit of sed magic.

--
cheers, J"org                             work:      --- no longer ---
                                          private:   joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de