Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:04:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Lucas Reddinger" <lucas@wlwhosting.com>
To:        <gte805u@mail.gatech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: cbb0: unsupported card type -- reboots

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=328514+332780+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-current/20030323.freebsd-current

The NIC does _NOT_ use the cardbus. I had no cardbus or legacy card
support in my kernel, and I could still use xl0. However, I could not get
cardbus or legacy card support working on 5.0, which is why I'm now on
4.8.

I tried making world up to 5.0-current from -release, and it never worked.
I always got some odd error. Repeated cvsup did not help. I think the
error code was hardware related. ACPI worked okay.

With 'device card 1', I'd get a power cycle about 30 seconds after boot. I
could not boot a cardbus enabled kernel, nor an eisa enabled kernel.

If you can live with ACPI (maybe causing compilation errors with its
hardware support?) that errors often, no card support (unless you can get
it working ;D), and other oddities, I recommend you stick with 4.8.

I also had a lot of trouble compiling ports on 5.0. It would often take me
10 tries of 'make install clean' to get it to go through all the way. I
could not put up with this for 'make world'.

4.8 has been flawless. Some APM support, and PCCARD (all I need).
Everything compiles, and I have done numerous make worlds to -stable. I
would never go back to 5.0.

Lucas Reddinger
(lucas on bsdforums.org)