Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 97 18:29:00 -0700
From:      "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        cjs@portal.ca (Curt Sampson), dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> > > I installed the Linux/Alpha microcode diskette on my Alpha when I
> > > first got it from OnSale (several months ago).  It was required
> > > for NetBSD.
> >
> > I'd be very suprised if the Linux PALcode works with NetBSD. NetBSD
> > requires the Digital Unix/VMS PALcode.
>
> It does.  I can guarantee it, since that is what I've been running
> the NetBSD on.

That depends on which platform you're running on, i'd guess.

On a multia, i could believe that it works.

On other platforms, e.g. eb64+ and eb164 (and other systems of the
same systype, of course), I sincerely doubt that it would (because the
Linux PALcode didn't implement PAL ops that the "real" OSF1 firmware
requires the OS to use to maninipulate interrupt state).

cgd