Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:03:23 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pav@FreeBSD.org, Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
Subject:   Re: Optional patching

--On Wednesday, December 19, 2007 16:59:37 +0100 Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> Is there a way to include a patch as an option to a port?  I maintain
>> the security/barnyard port.  There's a patch that is necessary for
>> barnyard to work correctly on a 64bit system.  I'm wondering if I can
>> use OPTIONS to make this patch optional if the system is 64 bit, but I'm
>> not sure what the syntax would be inside the if statement.
>>
>> .if defined(WITH_64BIT)
>> do-patch: patchname
>> .endif
>

> I would do something like (please check the list of 64 bits platforms)
>
> .if ${ARCH} == "amd64" || ${ARCH} == "ia64" || ${ARCH} == "sparc64"
># apply the patch here
> .endif
>

>> I assume the patch would have to be in the filesdir but could not be
>> named "patch-foo" or it would always be applied, correct?
>>

> Please check the reply from pav@ for this ;-)

That brings up an interesting question.  Which would be the preferred method?
To use an OPTION knob?  Or simply apply the patch if the arch matches?  I'm
thinking the latter.  I've tested the former method, and it works fine.   Does
it matter which method I use?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst