Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:37:40 -0700
From:      "Majmundar, Sam" <smajmund@visa.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Resolution and system backup questions on freeBSD 4.3

Greetings!

I replaced my 13" monitor with 17" on cyrix 166+ PC running BSD 4.3, and it
crashed while loading X using .fvwmrc (NT look-like interface).

I reinstalled everything from the backup and have the following questions:

1. 	Graphics on X flickers a lot and the resolution is extremely bad. On
the NT partition, things work just wonderful. On BSD, it is the most
horrible resolution that I have ever seen. I tuned using XF86Config file,
but I have no idea about the Video card chipset, etc. When mouse moves in
and out of Netscape, it changes colors from black to white and when I move
a browser window, it leaves multi-color ghosts behind. What am I doing
wrong???
2. 	I had a hard time restoring from the backup. Two of the tarred files
complained about unexpected end of tar file. Fortunately I had 4 backup
tapes of different dates. Also, I was careful not to override system
devices, and it took almost one complete day to recover. Is there a better
way to take backup - so that in case of machine crash, I can bring it up in
a matter of hours??

Thanks
Sam