Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dlewis@slicex.com>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        mb@imp.ch, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashdumps available for download ... please help

On 18 Sep, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:27:08 +0200 (CEST), Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch> said:
>
>> 10. Upgraded to gcc3.2. I was seeing now some SIG11 during builds,
>>     and - panics ! Softupdates and fs panics mostly. I turned off
>>     softupdates. The panic was different, but all the time it was
>>     in mmap.
>
> I'm not seeing panics, but I am seeing memory corruption causing about
> every third buildworld to fail.  Usually this affects `cc1' or `ld',
> but last night I saw corruption in a source file.

That sounds exactly like what I saw until I added

# memory corruption workaround?
options         DISABLE_PSE
options         DISABLE_PG_G

to my kernel configuration.  Since then the system has been pretty solid
except for a few NFS issues that I've identified, and a couple of
failures during openoffice builds that have been very difficult to
reproduce.

Martin is already using these options.