Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:48:42 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Michael A. Williams" <mike@netxsecure.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Read-Only Filesystems

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 09:24:56PM +1300, Michael A. Williams wrote:

> > > The only way I could think of to do his securely in the current
> > > implementation is to chflags most of the etc dir (with the exception
> > > of files that did need to be cahnged like passwd master.passwd
> > > aliases, etc.).. mainly the rc files.. but this makes administering
> > > remotely a pain in the ass.. Of course, security in many cases comes
> > > with a hassle factor.
> >=20
> > Don't forget chflags'ing every binary involved in the startup process,
> > too. And all of your kernel modules. And the boot loader and its
> > config files. And all of the appropriate directories. And /etc/fstab
> > so null or union mounts can't be used to shadow a protected file...you
> > get the picture :-)
>=20
> Securelevel 2 should not allow loading of kernel modules.

Correct, but if they're not noschg then you can trivially trojan a
kernel module which you know is loaded at boot time. Or you can add
yourself a new kernel module and load it by editing the boot loader
config, or by editing one of the startup scripts, or by trojaning one
of the binaries run during the system startup prior to raising of
securelevel, etc etc.

Then cause, or wait for a reboot.

Kris

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z