Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:10:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Marcin Jessa" <yazzy@yazzy.org>
To:        <Casper@Cee-Kay.net>
Cc:        <andy@fud.org.nz>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Traffic shaping/bandwidth limiting

Hi.

Yeah, there is one dummynet howto on bsdpro.com that makes things pretty
clear.
An example of my dummynet rules:

### Dummynet bandwith limiting :) #####
#All machines share evenly a single link - 1000Kbit/s
        $fwcmd $flags add pipe 1 ip from any to 192.168.64.0/24
        $fwcmd $flags add queue 1 ip from any to 192.168.64.0/24
        $fwcmd $flags queue 1 config weight 5 pipe 1 mask dst-ip 0x000000ff
        $fwcmd $flags pipe 1 config bw 1000Kbit/s
#Except for some boxes .... :)
#Servers:
        $fwcmd $flags add 6 skipto 2001 ip from any to 192.168.64.4/32
        $fwcmd $flags add 6 skipto 2001 ip from 192.168.64.4/32 to any
        $fwcmd $flags add 6 skipto 2001 ip from any to 192.168.64.5/32
        $fwcmd $flags add 6 skipto 2001 ip from 192.168.64.5/32 to any

I have an entry in /etc/sysctl.conf as well:

#walk through several pipes but not just one:
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0

Good luck.
YazzY

Casper Kamp said:
> Andy and list,
>
> Thanks for the answer. We are using mod_bandwidth allready successful,
> but I was wondering if this one is 'robust' enough to handle heavy hit
> loads (ie. >150 hits/sec) on sites that have a relative small bandwidth
> limit (ie. 1 Mbits/sec). Just want to know peoples experience with this
> one, before running into problems ;)
>
> For the ipfw/dummynet, I found lot's of very clear HOWTOs for ipfw,
> with some little dummynet sections, but is there a HOWTO that describe
> all the in and outs of dummynet?
>
> Thanks again all!
>
> - Casper

Marcin M. Jessa