Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:04:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> You don't commit until you compile successfully.  I don't understand
> where you think "refresh the CVS tree after a commit" comes into it
> at all.

Either this or that:

> > Neither is compiling everything on freefall (or thud) an option.
> > Everything had to remain locked for all those hours -- that's
> > unacceptable.

is IMHO required for:

> It has to be locked over an update/build/commit.
                                     ^^^^^

Or how would you build it?

>    Unless what you guys have been claiming about people only
> rarely working on the same files is false, and you're picking now
> to admit it for some reason.

We haven't claimed this, we've only claimed that hasn't caused us
serious problems.  That's more than just a difference in wording.

I remember occasions where even three of us have been fixing the same
problem in the same files in (basically) the same way, independently
of each other.  I _don't_ remember this being the reason for a tree
breakage however.  The reasons for this have always been ``human
failing''.

> That really depends on if your "product" is a source tree, doesn't it?

Maybe.  Ours isn't. :-)  Our ``product'' are releases.

> Please pick one viewpoint to argue from, and see it through, instead
> of changing viewpoints when its convenient (to "better put down Terry's
> suggestions, and logic be damned").

I don't wanna ``put down your suggestions'', i'm only telling you that
we aren't suffering the desease you're giving us your medicine for. :)
So i fear the costs of your medicine (somebody has to implement it,
plus the costs discussed above) for just an ``you could perhaps be
caught by this desease some day'' occasion.

--
cheers, J"org