Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 03:37:01 -0900
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <russ@ism.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quota for mail (was Re: Problems? or denial of service attack?)

At 10:25 AM +0200 2/10/97, mika ruohotie wrote:
>and general question, how much mail space would be the "good" amount per
>customer? one/two/three megs? (assuming client doesnt save email on the
>server side) should the quota include mail space? should i restrict
>the mail size?
>
>i personally would quota, and give one meg max.

I, personally ;-), would give everyone five meg. Why?

1) Because some people go on vacation for a couple weeks and need the space
and I don't need to hassle of explaning why mail was bouncing for their
friends.

2) > one meg attachments can be fairly common.

3) Ever had someone blow their quota by accident and then tried to figure
out why popper wouldn't let them get their mail? Not pretty :-).

4) If you're using popper *most* people will be pulling their mail off the
server anyway.

5) Besides, hard-drive space is cheap.

6) See 5, you'll make for happy customers. :-)

rus

rus

Russ Pagenkopf  (russ@ism.net)