Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 16:12:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fubar w/3.2-BETA

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Brian McGovern wrote:

> I'm not sure which list to send this to (-hackers, -stable, or -current), so
> I'll ship it to -stable, and let it sort itself out.
>
> Anyhow, I just ran 3.2-BETA (which SHOULD be stable), and hit a show stopper
> right after boot.
>
> I did a custom install (starting clean), went through the normal menus to set
> it up for an FTP install. Distributions were binaries, and a few others, but
> I don't think thats relevant to the problem.
>
> When I commited, it died claiming it couldn't make the parition enteries in
> /dev. Switching to the debug screen, the last few enteries were:
>
> DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for root filesystem
> DEBUG: Scanning disk wd0 for swap partitions
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 0s1b
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 0s1e
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 0s1f
>
> Anyhow, looks like a sysinstall issue. I don't have any CVS
> repositories that I think I can look at for this, but it looks
> like its not processing the drive/partition name correctly.

Here's a "me too" saying something might be just a little funky (but
wasn't fatal, at least on my end) in sysinstall.

I came across a similar glitch when trying to install
3.1-19990505-STABLE from releng3.freebsd.org yesterday (that was the
latest 3.1 snapshot I could find on it).

After I had labeled the disks and gone to commit everything, it told
me I forgot to add swap (duh), so I went back into the label editor
and fixed it up.  Upon trying to commit everything again, it told me
it couldn't add /dev/da0s1b and /dev/da1s1b as swap because the device
nodes were missing (or it said _something_ to that effect).  I didn't
pay attention to anything it may have said on the debug console,
sorry.  I ended up starting completely over for some other reason and
the next time around it worked without a hitch.

3.2-BETA as of last night (8:00 CDT) is now running fine on the
Proliant 3000 with single PIII-500, 256MB RAM, three 9.1GB UW SCSI HDs
on a Symbios Logic 53c876, 5 Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B's and one
Dual Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (and might get one more PRO/100B
installed soon).  Just in case anybody wonders wether it works on this
hardware.  WorldStone(TM) was just under an hour. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."