Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:38:25 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:23:27 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp
<phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:

>The real way is to run ntpd, if you don't have a permanent connection,
>consider looking into "burstmode" in the new xntpd4...

According to John Polstra in an archived message about tickadj, his
"real way" is to adjust the undisciplined clock before running xntpd,
formerly with tickadj, but now via sysctl as Bruce suggested.  I like
the idea of getting the kernel synchronized with the hardware before
trying to run xntpd.

>You want to fiddle kern.timecounter.frequency (units: Hz) or
>kern.timecounter.adjustment (Units: PPM/2^16)

Judging from what Bruce said, it seems that kern.timecounter.frequency
is derived from the machdep.*_freq variables, so it would be better to
change them and let the kernel propagate the changes.

And if the appropriate machdep.*_freq variable is set precisely, is
there any need for kern.timecounter.adjustment?