Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:23:37 -0500
From:      mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

>>     I found several old mailing lists messages pertaining to using a
>> Syquest removeable drive and an Iomega floptical with FreeBSD.  Are
>> there any quirks to their operation?  I assume I can just stick in a
>> cartridge with a proper filesystem and mount it?  My Apple IIGS should
>> be arriving in my hands sometime next week after clearing customs in
>> Taiwan, and I'm thinking of connecting it's PLI floptical drive to the
>> FreeBSD box.  No particular reason, just want to try it out.  Anyone
>> else using this piece of hardware?
>
>As an aside, I'd just like to say that I've been running a re-badged
>IBM 650 MB Magneto-Optical drive under NetBSD 1.0A for the last month,
>with absolutely no problems - my small 4-line "fix" to get sd to
>recognise removable media has been in the sources for a while.
>
>Quicker than tape, more robust, and neat, neat, neat...
>
>Cheers,
>Alistair
>--
>Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                    +44 125 234 6377
>Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.
>[These are only my opinions, and certainly not those of Amdahl Corporation]

At $100 (US) a disk, it is more expensive.

MO technology:
$100
------ = $0.15 per megabyte.
650 Mb

4mm DAT tape technology:
$20
------ = $8 per gigabyte = $0.0078 per megabyte
2.5 Gb

But, MO technology is MUCH MUCH faster than tape, and looks just like
another SCSI hard drive.

-Mark Taylor
mtaylor@cybernet.com