Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 23:17:52 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk problem - any suggestions

--------

Hi Rod, (CC hackers)

Re. no boot  blocks on my system ...

> > Hi folks,
> > I've painted myself into a corner, & would welcome suggestions how to
> > get out :-)
> >
> > I used to have a 50M DOS partition on my root partition, but it was corrupt,
> > & fdisk didnt understand it, so i reinstalled the drive, & reduced the 50M
> > to 20M too :-),
> > I used DOS fdisk to install a C:, then Freebsd fdisk to & disklabel
> > using both rsd0c & rsd0d as I recall,
> > 	(I suspect maybe i should have not done 0d) ..
> > Now I have a DOS partition I can mount under Freebsd,
> > I can even see the C: dos thing if i boot from a dos flopppy,
> > but if i try to boot off the hard disc it always runs freebsd,
> > regardless of whether I mark freebsd or dos as active with fdisk.
> >
> > Only thing I can think of now is to install that os-bs thing (from wherever)
> >
> > Any other suggestions ?
>
> fdisk/mbr perhaps, you may still have a FreeBSD boot strap in block 0-15 of
> the drive.

Thanks,
I thought I'd zapped the MBR, (though had forgotten the acronym),

After I'd realised you meant the DOS command fdisk, I tried it,
it seemed to work
	(unfortunately neither my MS DOS 5 or MS DOS 3 manuals
	(`3' came with Toshiba T1100+ years ago)  seems to list the
	/mbr syntax, so I'm working blindfolded )
after using dos sys command too,
now the 486 boots OK with DOS 20M in slice 0,

_However_ FreeBSD can no longer can auto boot !

So I've used the SNAP 95 02 10 rescue flop to install a boot manager
(`B' command in some menu ) - which looks cute, but doesnt take me too far.

I suspected my /usr/mdec stuff was screwed, so I `refreshed' it with
CD-ROM 2.0 stuff (quicker than reading source & trying to figure the dd
offsets to read off boot flop & write to winchester).

I changed my geometry from	 :ns#70: :nt#15: :nc#1356:  :se#512: to
 :ns#140: :nt#15: :nc#678: :se#512: to squeeze under the 1024 cyl limit.

I used disklabel -B & fdisk again, both on both rsd0c & 0d still no good
on reboot, The boot manager just tries for F4 & silently returns.

BTW I notice if disklabel is run, it zaps the fdisk display:
namely the DOS slice 0 dissapears, & the Slice 3 FreeBSD becomes
start 0 size 50000

It's only the boot sector(s) that are missing, as I can boot off the SNAP
floppy, & then continue with sd(0,a)/kernel
(which is how I'm booting the system that's doing this mail).

Further suggestions welcome please :-)
( I suspect I'll have to resort to `dd' (anyone remember the incantation))

Julian S