Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:20:34 +0100
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nikolaj Hansen <nikolaj.hansen@barnabas.dk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 and vinum upgrade #2

Am Samstag, 18. Dezember 2004 20:52 schrieb Nikolaj Hansen:
> [...]
> I think I have to disagree calling muliple drives on a disk
> "uncommon". In fact, I think I remember that being the way it was
> demonstrated in an old version of the handbook. Here is my current
> setup after rolling back to FreeBSD 5.2.1:
>
> 3 drives:
> D elben                 State: up       /dev/da1s1h    \
>		A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
> D donau                 State: up       /dev/da0s1h     \
> 		A: 0/7825 MB (0%)
> D spree                 State: up       /dev/ad4a
> 		A: 3/114473 MB (0%)
> [...]
> As far as I can tell, the new 5.3 release makes this disk
> configuration invalid?
>
> If yes, is that a permanent decision, or something that will change
> in near future say 5.4?
>
> If not I have a major problem here :-(

I don't undestand your excitement... :-)

You have three (vinum) drives on three seperate (physical) disks. On
these drives are several concat-plexes. Nothing here violates the
requirements for the GEOM-based vinum, if your old vinum-type
partitions don't start with an offest of "0" (zero) within the slice
(da0/da1) or disk (ad0) respectively.

*If* that's the case (i.e. Offset of 0 for the vinum partitions), you
have a problem indeed but otherwise I would not expect any problems.
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F