Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:42:28 -0500
From:      Drew Raines <drew-dated-1031589749.f4f948@rain3s.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> "Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> >
> > Hence, as a previous poster pointed out, the governing
> > authorities (whether Christian, or pagan) are ministers of
> > God's wrath.
>
> By virtue of a popular election?  I didn't realize that God
> had deputized the population with the power to deputize
> people to act on His behalf.

After God led the Israelites out of Egypt, he clothed Moses and
Aaron with ``holy garments,'' ``for glory and for beauty'' so
that they could ``minister as priest[s] to [God]'' (Ex 28:1-2).
These garments included a breastplate, vest, robe, tunic,
turban and a sash.  In that whole chapter, God details the
ornate decor of these clothes to Moses, then later tells him
that Aaron and his sons will wear them ``that they may serve Me
as priests'' (v 41).  God established an order for which man
was to serve him, and these men were the main contact points.

In the New Testament, Paul told the Ephesians about a new
wardrobe.  A Christian isn't marked by what he wears, but by
faith working through love.  Paul wrote of the ``breastplate of
righteousness,'' ``shoes of the Gospel,'' ``shield of faith,''
``helmet of salvation,'' and the ``sword of the Spirit (the
word of God; the Bible).'' Any person who believes that Jesus,
both fully God and fully human, is the Son of God and died for
his sin, is a part of the eternal ``royal priesthood, a holy
nation, a people for God's own possession'' (1 Pet 2:9).

God didn't deputize the population; he deputized believers in
Christ to act on his behalf.  Jesus' death on the cross was
/the/ crucial event in history where ``the veil of temple was
torn in two from top to bottom'' (Mark 15:38).  No more
sacrificing spotless lambs and spreading its blood over
doorposts to gain righteousness.  Christ has made the believer
righteous because *he* is the spotless lamb whose blood covered
the believer's sin.

> > Yes, but this is all beside the point.  It is purely
> > descriptive.  To what ends *should* society be seeking?
>
> IMO?  The advancement of human knowledge.

OK, but I would make sure that knowledge grows in the right
context.

   The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
                                             (Prov 1:7)

   Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the
   mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of
   his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he
   understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises
   loving kindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I
   delight in these things.  (Jer 9:23,24)

> If nothing else, we will end up finding the answer to the
> question os what ends society should be seeking, and, most
> importantly, not be able to falsify the idea that we have
> discovered the answer.

   There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is
   the way of death.  (Prov 14:12)

We need God.  Without him we are lost.  Man cannot fend for
itself.   We are scrambling around trying to create standards
when we should be living by the standard already set: Truth.