Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:40:30 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, tcobb@staff.circle.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM?

> Kerberos?
>
> I've been using v4 here for ages, and it works swell. Haven't tried
> v5 (actually don't even know if it's available under FreeBSD).

Yes.

> What do "SecurID tokens" give you that Kerberos doesn't?? Since NT is
> going the way of Kerberos, I'm imagining that in a few years, Kerberos
> style authentication will be all that really matters... :-)

SecurID uses a physical token (like a credit-card calculator) which
displays a random number which changes every so often.  You use the
number as a password.

Because the server knows the sequence, it can make allowances for time
drift in the cards.  Guessing the sequence from a set of sample
passwords is meant to be very difficult.

This is relatively more secure than Kerberos, but still involves a
"trusted host".