Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 20:09:17 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: External SCSI device with internal SCSI adapter?

"K. Marsh" wrote:

> I have adaptec SCSI on my motherboard and an external SCSI Zip drive
> gathering dust.  Is there a way I can hook up both external AND internal
> devices to the same internal SCSI adapter?

Well, I don't have a definitive answer but I'm in the process of trying
exactly the same thing myself.

I have a SCSI card with wide and narrow internal headers and a narrow
external port. However I'm using both internal ones (wide for the HD and
narrow for the CD) so I can't use the external one. I want to be able to
use an external DAT drive that I can borrow from work so I've managed to
get the bits to make up the following convertor. An 50-pin loop with 50
pin micro-D's out of an old external case, cut it in half and added a 50
pin _male_ connector (that took some finding).

I plan to plug the last connector on the internal ribbon into this with
the CD using the next to the last, mount the micro-D on the back of the
case, un-terminate the CD and use an external terminator.

In theory this should work. I'm hoping to try it out sometime this this
week. I'll let you know how I get on. Meantime maybe this gives you
something to try.

>   Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
>   durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.