Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:35:34 -0500
From:      "The Dreaming Network Freemail Service" <services@freemail.dreaming.org>
To:        "Frank W. Miller" <fwmiller@macalpine.cornfed.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftpd question

I may be mistaken, but i think that if you remove the ftp entry in
/etc/master.passwd (vi vipw of course) that anonymous logins will no longer
work, but regular users can still get in.

Source: ftpd man page...
"6.   If the user name is ``anonymous'' or ``ftp'', an anonymous ftp account
must be present in the password file (user ``ftp'')."

of course, in case i'm wrong, save a copy of that entry in master.passwd
somewhere ;-)

grep ftp: /etc/master.passwd > /root/backup.ftpentry

Cheers,
Mit