Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:21:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: VMware 1.1 for Linux on the FreeBSD

> > Cool, thanks!  Next step will be to work out how we can either fix their
> > wizard or tweak the setup so that it's not offered as an option.
>
> I think, currently we are have a much more important leaks.
>   - virtual networking
>   - fullscreen mode
>   - floppy disk detection
>   - serial ports
>   - support for other hardware: parallel port, sound card

Ok.  Sounds like a reasonable set of priorities.  I would add "correct
detection of available memory", since it's claiming that only 32MB is
available on a 128MB machine.

However, I'm currently having no luck with the configuration editor
either; I can successfully edit the configuration, but when saving it
VMware dies with

(USER) Exiting on unexpected signal.
Panic without a VM

after writing just one line to the configuration file:

#!/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware

I note also that you don't install vmware setuid.  Probably a good idea,
but one that will trip a few people up.

BTW, having looked more closely at the test you use for detecting whether
the right linux module is loaded I'm not so sure it's entirely good: it
does presume that the kernel sources are installed and that the running
linux module was built from /sys.  However, I can't come up with a better
simple solution, so I'm not going to complain. 8)