Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:15:52 -0400
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How To's

I've been disappointed with the aparent absence of HOW TO documents for
freebsd (at least that can be located from the freebsd.org website).

bsdtoday has a how too link, and i was surprised to find exactly what i was
looking for, through that site, but located at

http://people.freebsd.org/~jkb/howto.html

This is exactly the document I was looking for.

Why don't we have a how too link on the freebsd main page?

I feel that this type of usefull information could really help if it were
also included in the documentation that comes with freebsd.  There's a
wealth of information about the specifics of how to write complex ipfw
rules, but I've not been able to find a single document that gives you the
bare bones of what you need to do to enable ipfw.  The closes i found on the
distribution documentation is an article about dialup ppp firewalling, and
it appears to be out of date to the point that the instructions don't work
with freebsd 4.1.

Please consider putting together a HOW TO page and putting a link to it on
the main freebsd site under documentation.  We need it.

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services, Inc.