Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 05:15:29 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Rohit Dube <rohit@cs.UMD.EDU>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Giant Sized Ethernet Packets

>From The Desk Of Rohit Dube :
> I will give that a shot as soon as my internal network is up.
> However as dg@root.com (David) mentioned, this could create a problem.

Well, about giving away patches thats up to Julian and TRW ...

I would start by connecting two FreeBSD boxes using UTP. Because other
devices in your network may not be able to support the non-standard 802.3
packet sizes. Just play with the driver if you are under 4kb packets
you should be okay -- the dec chipsets for both the 10 mbit and the
10/100 mbit chipset  have a bug in that they can't handle buffers greater than
2k for the 10mbit chipset and 4k for the 10/100 mbit chipset-- It is
a long story however I am sure Julian can elaborate how to get around
this problem if anyone cares to transmit / receive 15kb packets 8)

I don't have the code with me  -- I usually leave my client's code at their site.

	Have fun,
	Amancio

P.S.: I may be able to help you next week when my P6 200 gets in -- that is
I will have two FreeBSD boxes .