Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 14:36:53 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

Reference:
> From: David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
>    Jordan's talking about other quality issues, like a poorly designed bus an
- d
> rail design that allows for cards to become unseated fairly easily and the
> general lack of quality with 99.9% of the motherboards on the market. In this
> case, I'm refering to poor Q/A at the factory (bad cache ram, etc), poor

Yes,
Anyone who thinks PCs are OK should buy an electronics friend a beer, & ask
for a comparison of typical industrial electronics with typical PC electronics.

PC `quality' meets a market that is cut-throat, low budget, & uneducated.
Systems engineering standards are not applied, result:-
- Low quality tinned sockets, that allow cache ICs to work loose,
  (not often one sees turned gold plated sockets on PC boards).
- Keyboard sockets straight on main board, allowing physical stress
  from plugging & knocking.
- Non gold plated bus connectors & dip jumper headers, & ram sockets.
- Pcb bus edge connectors instead of VME/DIP gold plated steel pin connectors.
- Insufficiently physically supported long LocalBus cards,
- Simplistic power ground = safety ground = emmission screen ground.
- Undercooled badly machined boxes.
etc

PCs are very cheap, but with the `shake it & die' nature of PC hardware,
I reccomended a putative customer an internal server box, an
external firewall box, + 3rd cold standby box, as 3 PCs (inc. software)
are still cheaper than 2 Sun/HP type boxes).

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/