Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:17:38 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

Brett Glass wrote:

> >         Ok, then you need to immediately cease all plans to ever market
> >any product that uses the word FreeBSD in it. No halfway intelligent
> >person would ever grant anyone the right to use their trademark without
> >having full knowledge about what kind of product their name is going to be
> >placed on.
>
> I guess you do not consider Linus Torvalds to be intelligent, then.

He did not originally consider the question: iirc, the name Linux
was trademarked on his behalf only after someone else tried to
trademark it first. Since then, of course, he has been quite
liberal with allowing people to use it, and consequently,
together with the genuine companies, ripoffs like LinuxOne have
also tried to cash in. I doubt anybody in the FreeBSD world wants
to move in that direction. Linux's success shows the way but
Linus's decision was not a conscious one, he may have done things
differently if he had had prior examples to follow, and at this
point of time an intelligent person would try and adopt the good
ideas and avoid the mistakes.

> Yes, I do. And when it doesn't work, it's usually due to people being
> overly controlling, possessive, and/or otherwise anal retentive, as
> you are being here. It's people like you, and attitudes such as yours,
> which are the greatest dangers to the BSDs' success and have kept them
> from achieving prominence up to this point.

No. The greatest danger to the BSD's success is the attitude of
certain BSD zealots who believe that it is the one true way and
anything GPL'd must be evil. This is what kept me from
"advocating" BSD for a long time, though I could admit to liking
it. Linux has its rabid zealots, but I see no reason to imitate
them; and it's ridiculous to go about replacing the "Gates is
evil" banner of many linuxers with a "Stallman is Satan" banner.
Even if such ranting has succeeded in converting some people to
linux, it will not help BSD: Gates is a favourite target of hate
among unix people and even among the more knowledgeable people in
the dos/windows world, but Stallman is quite widely respected
even among those who don't totally subscribe to his ideology.

A newcomer, especially one with prior linux experience, would get
totally turned off by some of the postings on these mailing
lists. These lists are not really private discussions. They're a
support system, publicly archived, browsable, and a way to
initiate newcomers into the community.

On the positive side, in the year or so during which I've been
"listening in", attitudes do seem to be changing, with more
positive discussion of BSD and (slightly) less talk about the
shoddiness of linux and the sinister hidden agenda behind the
GPL.