Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support? (moving to chat...)

At 01:24 AM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>[moved to -chat instead of cross-psoting to -hackers and -chat]
>
>>> any other similar drive.  The media is everywhere--computer stores, office
>>> supply stores, technical bookstores.  And we all know somebody that has
>>> one, so they're well-tested and great for exchanging with friends.
>>  Don't forget that Zip is available is a SCSI version, which makes it
>>usable on non-intel systems like Mac, Sparc, and SGI.  I don't believe
>>that an IDE-only solution will take off for this reason.
>
>Macs recently started using IDE.  But I don't know how well the
>(laughable) ATAPI/IDE standard handles cross-platform issues.
>
>Happy hacking,
>joelh

The Macs notebooks all now have internal IDE HD and CDROMS, but all there
current computers have external SCSI. On the higher end Mac it's all SCSI,
internal and external. Apple has set ATAPI/IDE for it's PB, home, and
educational due to lower cost factor.

Paul Griffith
BTW: Some of the Macs now come standard with SCSI Zip drives.