Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 13:49:38 -0500
From:      Global Internet Shopping Mall <gism@isot.isot.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   devices lp0 and ep0???

According to kernel config file, ep0 is for the 3C509 ethernet card and I
configured for it.  But during a boot, the kernel reports, lp0 as TCP/IP
ready device besides the ep0.  Where did the lp0 came from?

And then from the FreeBSD box the netstart -nr reports:
206.24.68.1     ...     ...     ...     ep0     ; BSDi box
206.24.68.15    ...     ...     ...     lp0     ; FreeBSD box

The FreeBSD see's the BSDi's ethernet as ep0 but lp0 on its own.  I'm a bit
confused.

Also the netstat -i shows:
lp0*, ep0, lo0*, tun0*
What is lo0?  Do I need tun0?

I think I got the network somewhat working, at least, I can ping by IP from
the FreeBSD box, but still can't ping by name.  Could you help?